Utilize este identificador para referenciar este registo: http://hdl.handle.net/10400.3/970
Título: Historical abandonment of children in the Azores, Portugal.
Autor: Smith, Malcolm
Lima, Manuela
Palavras-chave: Babies Abandoned
Differential Abandonment
Island of Faial (Azores)
Southern Europe
Data: 1993
Citação: Smith, M. & M. Lima (1993). Historical abandonment of children in the Azores, Portugal. "Anthropologie et Préhistoire", 104: 111-117.
Relatório da Série N.º: Anthropologie et Préhistoire;104
Resumo: Data from the period 1779-1828 were extracted from the books recording the entry and subsequent fate of babies abandoned in the Roda in the town of Horta on the island of Faial, Azores. The numbers of babies abandoned increased throughout the period, and their survival rate fluctuated markedly, with a low of under 10% in 1809 to a high of almost 50% in 1813. Overall, just over half the babies abandoned had died within the first year, and over 60% had died within two years. There is no differential abandonment or survival between the sexes. The seasonality of abandonment shows a peak in the first four months of the year, with a decline during the summer months. By contrast, deaths are most frequent in July and August, with another peak in the last quarter of the year. These Azorean data are consistent with the general pattern observed in Southern Europe, but offer some special opportunities to study the variation in nursing performance and the subsequent life-histories of expostos.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10400.3/970
Aparece nas colecções:DBIO - Artigos em Revistas Internacionais / Articles in International Journals

Ficheiros deste registo:
Ficheiro Descrição TamanhoFormato 
Historical abandonment of children in the Azores, Portugal.pdf2,89 MBAdobe PDFVer/Abrir


FacebookTwitterDeliciousLinkedInDiggGoogle BookmarksMySpace
Formato BibTex MendeleyEndnote Degois 

Todos os registos no repositório estão protegidos por leis de copyright, com todos os direitos reservados.